Friday, August 26, 2011

            Wednesday, August 17 2011
The rainy season is here in Sierra Leone for it rains for hours and sometimes days at a time. And when I say that I’m not talking about it sprinkling down rain, it is more so a baptism of rain. Trying to keep patients dry that come from admissions (on the dock) to the ship is merely an impossible task to accomplish. The journey that is made from admissions to the peri-operative room is immense. Going from the waiting area out side, up the 40 step gangway, down 2 flights of stairs and down a several hundred foot hallway while rocking on the sea, is more challenging than it sounds. Sure it sounds challenging enough, but factor in the patients who have never seen state of the art technology nor a hospital that floats. As this journey is made 52 times a day (on the eye team alone) it becomes a high quality workout more than anything. As the rain was pouring down in Sierra Leone, Mercy Ships did not stop the work of the Lord. Armed with umbrellas and raincoats, the brave ventured out to gather patients from the admission tent.    

“When you stop looking at the world with your eyes… and start looking with your FAITH… then you will no longer be blind” 
 – Daniel Wiafe, Jr

The umbrellas and raincoats that we are armed with had quickly failed their use. Dripping wet the we make our way to the patients, for rain will not stop us. The acerbic walk back to the peri-op room with patients and workers hands intertwined, is a glory walk for both of this kind. There is nothing like leading the blind, being everything for the ones in the dark. Watching out for every hazard that awaits an unexpected foot to catch, and cause mischief in many ways.

Isaiah 42:16
I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.

As the rain continues to brutally beat down on the people of Sierra Leone Mercy Ships continues to be hope and healing for the lost. As the patients patiently sat and waited in wet clothes. The eye team had an euphony, why don’t we put the patients in the hospital gowns and dry their clothes? Well we did just that. Mind you the people of Sierra Leone hand wash and hang dry their garments, so the concept of a clothes dryer is much vaster than what one could comprehend. The looks on the faces where not all that enthralled, with the warm clothes in hand. Until this one Ma came in with her 1 year old child this is when I saw the expression I had long been waiting for. As the mother was holding her child in her arms we gently took them both out of their clothes. We gave the mother a gown and a blanket from the dryer. After the mother changed she wrapped the child in this grandiose warm blanket. As the mother was cuddling her child, we snuck her clothes and her child clothes out of sight. The mother never noticed that her clothes had disappeared until we brought the clothes back in and placed them over the still cold baby and mother. The mothers face lit up I have never seen anyone so happy before. She took the clothes and her baby, held them close to her face and formulated the most wonderful smile I may have ever seen. She was perplexed by the warm clothes needless to say. It is the small things that we as a well off civilization do not notice. Such as a dryer, something we don’t even think about when we use it we just know how to start it. The wonders that swim my imagination are vast. But now seeing the poorest of poor, the things I would stress about back home are microscopic details to life. Details that do not even exist, details that are not needed in imagination. For there are people who will never experience, have, or feel the simple things we are able to experience.   .


He replied, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!” 
John 9:25, NIV


“What if Gods grace were to pour down like rain?
Dripping with your grace oh Lord, I stand and worship you.
What if Gods love was a like a vast ocean?
I would let it come and drown me in its entire splendor.”

Funny thing is all this is true, Gods grace does pour down on us. And his love drowns us every day. Most of us do not notice what we have until we are lying on the ground crying for what we want. Funny thing is what we want is what we have, so open your eyes and enjoy the small things in life. Do not worry about the bills or where the money to pay them is going to come from, do not worry about running out of your favorite food. Do not worry about your life and what it will be in the next several minuets, hours, days, months, years. Just focus on how people see you as a Christian and focus on what God has in plan for you. In most cases face down on the ground we all think…
 “I’ m embarrassed, ashamed, stressed, lost, and confused. All my doors are shut before me and I have no where to go, so I will just sit here and scream to You (God) till You (God) push me through a door.”

Be like Jesus cause… This is a small charm of Jesus life, so why should we complain when some one has it worse?

If anyone is going down this road I encourage you to read and pray, we do not constantly have to be on the look out for an open door. But as long as our focus is on God he will provide.

   Matthew 14:22-33

Read this story… Now apply… As sill as it sounds it is so true. Being in Africa I have learned this over and over again. The more I rely on and focus on Him and His plan my weeks go well. Yes I have a lot of spiritual warfare at the same time, but honestly I do not mind the war that is against me. But when I stumble and take my eyes off of God and doubt, I begin to sink into self pity. And I tend to cry out God save me, and he replies “I have saved you now come”. As God speaks those words to me He comes beside me picks me up brushes my knees off. Like a father and says try again my son. My God is patient, kind, loving, and understanding. This is not just a metaphor, this is a physical experience. 

The ship I see every day, it is truly amazing to be working here.


 To the right.. This is my Buddy Amar, he left the ship on monday cause he has completed his treatments. He was like my child. One day I went to visit him and he came running up with a Bible in his hand and said. " I want to read to you Clinton. I think you need to hear this." and well lets just say God uses everyone. This day was one of the harder days I have had and this just broke me to hear him read to me while sitting on my lap. (Notice he has my stethascope Dr. Amar)  

 This is something I see and do everyday. Im more than thrilled to help out and be a servant of God. But when A blind eye comes up and asks "Why can't you help me" The hardest question known to man. Well to me at least. Most of the time I want to tell them why and walk the other way. But instead I stay, pray, and endure the tears that come from the blind eye. I comfort those who can not be helped, and I help those who can be helped. 




This patient had the last name Thompson. I had to get a picture with him. I actualy have a picture of his signature and mine on the patient chart. I will share that some other time tho.
Im Just the guy from a small town in California, doing what God has called me to do.
It is you who makes it possible for me to be here, with your prayers, gifts, thoughts, and words of encouragement. Thank You!

(I’m no journalist, so I do apologize for the grammatical errors and spellings)

No comments:

Post a Comment