Sunday, July 24, 2011

What do you think?

It is called Atrial Fibrillation, A-Flutter and A-Fib. A dangerous medical problem that I have seen here in sierra Leone a lot more than I would see at home. The scary thing is people walk around with this condition like it is nothing. In America we have the luxury of going to the hospital at the immediate sign of any medical problem no matter how small. Some of the common cases of A-fib are found from; Congestive heart failure, Coronary artery disease, and pericarditis. Pericarditis is inflammation of the sac that covers the heart, the sac that covers the heat is also known as the pericardium. This is caused mainly by HIV infections in third world countries. Those are some of the causes of a-fib. When A-fib is in progress the heart pumps so quickly that adequate blood supply is lacking volume. And when that is the case lack of oxygen comes into play. In laymen’s terms the medical field calls it “the walking dead”. Medicines that can help  are vast. But are mainly limited to blood thinners, like Warfarin and aspirin two simple drugs. But not so simple to get here in Sierra Leone. With the lack of medical help and knowledge people who have A-fib have a higher chance of fainting (syncope) Strokes, heart failure, and MI Myocardial infarction. There are medicines in the world to help. But the medicines that are available are either pricey or hard to obtain in most third world countries. In the states if one where to have A-fib, medics would rush the patient to the ER. From there the nurses and doctors would be at ones aid, the simplest fix for A-Fib is to put one on an IV drip with a small dose of magnesium.(thats only helps temporarly) For magnesium is what helps muscles relax and the heart is the most productive muscle. So therefore the magnesium relaxes the muscle of the heart and cause a desirable out come. That is how simple we have it in the USA. And I’ m very grateful for the medical practice we have established in the USA. But the problem  in Sierra Leone overshadows my gratefulness of what we have as Americans or whatever nationality you may be. The problem here in Sierra Leone is that a lot of the doctors use traditional medicine techniques. (Natural herbs) There are resources for medicines; the thing is they are typically expensive for the Locals of Sierra Leone.
Being here in Sierra Leone I though that I might see HIV/AIDS every where. But I do not know what the difference between you and I are from an HIV/AIDS patient. We look the same, think the same and talk the same. I was under the impression of being able to see the physical deteriorating signs and remnants of the so called infections. I have interacted with the people of Sierra Leone, not knowing and not caring about what sickness they have. I am not here to find out who has what, or to even diagnose what one has. Nor am I here as a medical reviewer for the eye team. I’m here to do Gods work, and to offer a lifetime to the people of this multifariously perplexedadmit the fact either country. That is my job  nothing more or less, for I work for God and with God. I’m not ashamed to admit that fact..

 *Warning* this is not a happy story, Welcome to my life. This little boy made me cry. He is 2 years old and was fine 1 month ago. He could see fine and had no problems. Until an HIV infection had set in. his right eye (the almost normal eye) was like the left eye 2 weeks prior. This boy is blind for life, and may never live to be 5. one of the most shocking realities in Sierra Leone.   
Sorry if this made you cry. But why should I be the only one experiencing this side of life. there is more than just malnourished children here in Sierra Leone, there is more than just distended stomachs, hernias, and tumors. There is life...

 Some of my friends that I made at a screening sight. It was towards the end of the day, and I was praying to God. 
"God how can I witness for you when all I do is work?"
Well God has a sense of humor because I got a sudden burst of courage and energy to sit with the men in the picture. Not just for 5 min. But for 45 min, the gentleman on the left was the one I was focusing on. We talked about faith and Gods love. Every now and again there would be a random person that would listen to the conversation but as I would turn to them to let them know I was talking to all they would look away. As if they where ashamed or embarrassed but they soon came around to listening and acknowledging what I had to say. I do not know what I did that day; all I do know is that I contributed to Gods kingdom and possibly shaped someone’s life.



 Being here in Sierra Leone encourages me to press on with my life’s desires.
1.)   Serving God, thru the skills he has provided for me.
2.)   Going to medical school to get my Doctorates. So that I may be able to build my own organization such as Mercy Ships.
3.)    But with a vast criteria for medical relations.
The 3 trinkets of my imagination that lay above are dreams and life goals I pray about all the time, with a plethora of other trinkets from the recollection of my thoughts. I feel this is my life goal, I feel this is what God wants me to do with my life. I just feel so guided and lead thru all of my thoughts, actions and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment