Monday, July 18, 2011

The Life I Love

The life I m living for God is the best life by far. I have made some amazing friends and met amazing people on my journey so far. But more than that I have learned so much more about God, than I would have learned in a life time back home. I would like to apologize for not keeping my Blog up to date, it has taken me some time to get use to my hours and time management.

So a lot of you are probably wondering. "What does Clintons job entail?" Well I will tell you.
My job covers a lot around here in Sierra Leone. My job title is Eye field team-Medical reviewer. Sounds like an easy position but not for me, especially when I have to tell people they can not have surgery or are permanently blind for life. A medical reviewer is a person that does assessments on a patient(s) and the assessment foretells the health of the person. And by looking at that one must make the decision of surgery or no surgery. I'm also a ships driver; therefore I get to drive the ships vehicles into the field where we screen. And I also do airport runs to pick up new people. And the last part of my job is Medical Scheduler, after the patients are approved for surgery I enter them into the data base and make sure we have bed space for them. That is my job description in a nut shell. I work anywhere from 12 to 14 hour shifts a day, most days starting at 0545.

-The process
Field screening => 2nd screening => Surgery => 1 day, 2 week, 6 week/YAG (post ops.)
 Alright enough logistics here are some photographs and stories. Enjoy!


This is the view from the top of the ship known as Deck 8. The water key of Sierra Leone. Ships are always in and out of the port and there is constant staking and re staking of containers all hours of the day and night.
It is amazing at how much trading goes on inside Sierra Leone. It is a poor country but cheap for trading storing or importing items. China is one of the largest sponsors of Sierra Leone. For they have Chinese funded hospitals, colleges and Sections of land.



 The scenery here is breath taking and amazing as you can, the beauty of Gods creation.
 sun sets and countless trails that lead into the jungles abyss. All of the images reflect back on Gods grace for us. That is how I view it.











The views and sites are breath taking. But the vast reality is there are always two sides to a photo. The one you are seeing and the one I see on the opposite side of the camera. If I had turned the camera around on most of the shots taken you would see the poorest of the world. You would see the dirt and grime that consumes this country. You would see the poverished malnourished homeless people of the town. Even at the most amazing beaches like the one above, one would see the poor and helpless. It is heartbreaking to see...



 I see countless lines of people waiting for screenings for medical dilemmas. But that is not all they are waiting for, they are waiting for hope and compassion. Something that is scarcely offered in this world today.
This is what we call screening day! The masses of people come. Some days it feels like you can not face the crowd or the day, and give what is expected such as the services we offer. But that is the work of Satan amongst the team.





But in the end you see the compassion and love the people receive.




Keep an eye out for my next Blog, I hope to have it up in a week.
                                                      Matthew 6:25-27


4 comments:

  1. Keep the posts coming! You're doing awesome work, and I've actually been considering (and praying) applying for a teaching position with Mercy Ships once I finish my bachelor's.

    God Bless, Clinton! We're praying for you back here in California!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clinton, so good to get this overview. I missed service the week you were sharing. I was teaching both services. It is good to be able to catch up on what is happening. Your mom gave me a prayer magnet and I was looking at it today and praying for God to touch all that you touch. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clinton, this is an outstanding entry into your blog. It really gives us an idea of what you are dealing with. We are so proud of you but more importantly, God is bursting with joy about what is being accomplished in you and through you. What an amazing journey you are traveling on. I can't wait to see what God has in store for you. We love you and miss you so much but we know Sierra Leone is where God wants you. So, we have to let go and let God move. It is your time to shine. Keep running the race God has set before you. You are amazing. With all my love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clinton I am sooo proud of you. I tell guest about you all day long at work. I can tell you have totally changed and it is amazing to see what God is doing in your life. I love you and can't wait for you to come back home from Africa. Love ya lots!!!!

    ReplyDelete